Blog / Bleach….not the clean bill of health we thought

January 16th, 2014

Bleach

Products sold on the shelf at my supermarket have got to be safe, after all we live in Australia and products have all the correct details on the packaging and are well regulated. Right? Mmmm well it may be time to have a re-think as there are items like bleach and cleaning solutions that are readily accessible that are dangerous and hazardous, regardless of what the labeling may state.

How can it be that in a workplace area the OH&S requirements will require gloves, safety glasses and a mask to be used if handling bleach, yet at home someone gets hold of the standard bottle of bleach, confines themselves into a bathroom or toilet area and exposes themselves to the hazardous chemical fumes that are emitted from bleaches and cleaners? In laboratories, chemists will handle bleach with gloves, protective eyewear, masks and ensuring the area is well ventilated because they treat it like any other chemical knowing that the odours emitted are dangerous. I think I’ve heard more

cleaning toiletChemist

information about the risks of stress at work causing cancer, how circumcision can potentially lead to prostate cancer and how prolonged mobile phone usage may end up causing a brain tumor, yet we consumers are relatively kept in the dark about these chemicals we’re exposed to every day that have proven health risks.

Today there are still frequent incidents of people being hospitalised due to the exposure of cleaning chemicals in the home, such as bleaches, drain cleaners, toilet cleaners and detergents. This gets worse when toilet cleaner is used in a bowl followed by bleach, as it can create a toxic cocktail that can result in noxious gasses. Chlorine bleach is a corrosive material and inhaling the fumes will irritate the respiratory tract as well as your skin and eyes. It can be absorbed into the skin which presents further risks to the human body. If you think this is an overreaction, think again as there is a reason in the workplace handling bleach needs gloves, masks, protective glasses and ventilated spaces as the dizziness, light headed effects, blood noses and skin reactions are the mild side effects. The biggest risks are the long term damage done to organs such as kidneys, lungs and liver after accumulated exposure over the longer term, as well as potential neurological disorders, major headaches and migraines, and serious prolonged skin conditions such as eczema. Studies of breast cancer have also been linked to exposure of chlorine.

Headache

Just like “second hand smoke” for people around smokers was proven to be a serious and sometimes fatal health risk, family members are at risk when exposed to the effects of bleach and cleaners in the home, as when these products are used the chemicals in the air and environment linger, which are often inhaled or absorbed by occupiers in the home. The worst effects are gradual over time and result in effecting the human body to a point where major organs can cease working and shut down, often preventing the human body from healing naturally. The risk of these effects can often be greater for cancer patients, autistic children and the elderly, where the fumes of bleach can create breathing difficulties and sickness.

I spoke to a friend of mine who rattled off some incredible stories of children’s health conditions that he has witnessed in his practice, telling me of illnesses such as asthma and severe skin and respiratory irritations that had been linked to indirect chlorine exposure, e.g. being in environments that were extremely clean. After changing the chemicals used in the home, predominantly reducing their use, many of these health problems had been lessened, some disappearing, all happening in a matter of weeks.

In our home bleach is no longer purchased or stored. Clean Life Disinfectant not only does all that bleach can do but it can provide far more while ensuring there are no health risks. Clean Life will disinfect and kill the most common bacteria present in homes and the workplace, without leaving any lingering hazardous odours as bleach does. Once applied to any surface, Clean Life kills the bacteria but leaves no residual chemicals on the surface other than a small salt residue (difficult to detect) and presents no risk to the environment. This is far safer to use in bathrooms and toilet areas for the end user as no gloves or masks are required, leaving a disinfected clean area with no chemicals and smelling what clean and disinfected should naturally smell like.

Baby

As previously blogged, Clean Life is so safe it can be used in the kitchen where it could be sprayed directly on your sink or dishes immediately before food is applied and will not have any chemicals migrating into food.

History has shown us that often once the authorities tell us something is bad then it’s probably too late. Remember the cool trend of smoking in the 1950s-1970s, I’m still amazed when I watch TV shows portraying those days where smoking was happening everywhere in the home, on public transport, restaurants and the workplace. Then when all the warnings came out about the dangers of smoking, it was a global health problem out of control where the legacy continues today. I’m not sure how long it will take the authorities to ensure everyone is aware of bleach hazards in our daily lives and although Clean Life may not change the world it certainly provides us with a safer way to stay healthy and avoid unnecessary chemical exposure. There is no disinfectant on the market that offers these properties and can do what Clean Life can.

Until next week’s blog…..in the meantime follow me on Twitter twitter logo @cleanlifeglobal and don’t forget our discounts on 1 Litre bottles until end of January, log onto our Buy Now page and type in the coupon box “launch” 

 

Clean Life Clive Clean Life Clive Profile